Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Princess and the Pea

I happened to notice today that I had several blog posts that were still "drafts."  I clicked on this one and wondered why I had never posted it.  I decided it's never too late.  I still love this story.  I'm all about happily ever after.  This post was written over 4 1/2 years ago so we aren't reading this book at bedtime anymore.  That makes me so sad.  Oh how I wish we could go back for a few more Princess and the Pea days...
 
 
THE PRINCESS AND THE PEA

I LOVE the book The Princess and the Pea. LOVE it. I don't mean I used to love it when I was a little girl. I mean, I loved it when I was a little girl and I still love it now that I'm all grown up. I used to ask my dad to read it to me ALL the time when I was little. As a wedding gift he gave me a beautiful copy of it and wrote a sweet note on the inside cover. He said he hoped one day I would have a little girl to read it to. I've read it to my little girl several times. I don't know that she loves it as much as I do but every time I read it to her I think back to when I was little. Tonight I was reading a new, very modern version of it written and illustrated by Lauren Child.

It's FABULOUS!! I always love her illustrations in children's' books and the way she has rewritten it is so fairy tale perfect. Anyway, as I was reading it to her when I turned to the page that has all the mattresses stacked up I was explaining to her that it was always my very favorite page. Each mattress is a different pattern. Some are flowers, some are stripes, some are polka dots. Even as a five year old I was in love with the different patterns. I would stare at that page forever. Every time anyone read it to me I would wait anxiously for that page. Now as a grown up, if I see a new version of it in a bookstore or a library, I immediately turn to that page so I can see the mattresses. Isn't that strange? I hope it becomes a happy memory for Nora. I'm thinking of buying up all the beautiful versions of it so I can pass them on to her (and hopefully her little girl) one day.

© 2009 paperdoll designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

How lovely of you to comment! Your comment might not show up right away but I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...